Saturday, December 15, 2007

To My Boy: step inside the mainframe

Do you love synthesizers, excited yet robotic vocals and songs about computers? If so, then you will surely love To My Boy. I certainly do.

To My Boy is an energetic electro pop duo hailing from Liverpool, England. The twosome is comprised of Jack Snape and Sam White. The ingredients of their music consist of synthesizer, guitar, arpeggiator, drum machine and vocals. All of the above are self-recorded and produced on their computer, giving it that nice homemade DIY type feel, yet still managing to sound polished and professional. If I were to compare To My Boy to anyone else I would say that they sort of sound like The Cars and Gary Numan combined, except on speed.

Typically, synthesizer heavy songs about machines and space are cold sounding, monotone, and minimalistic. Whether recorded in the late 70s/early 80s or within the last decade, these songs often sound like the product of a Dystopian nation in the distant future (except with music that sounds like it was recorded on a 1970s analog synthesizer). It's like when you watch watch Logan's Run and they're in the future, yet they're wearing tacky 70's disco mall elf outfits. Anyway... As much as I love that bleak sort of sound, it is refreshing to hear such nerdy and triumphant excitement regarding machines. To My Boy seem to find a certain warmth and comfort in computers and technology. To them, the future does not look bleak at all. And luckily it doesn't seem as though they'll be sporting Logan's Run inspired outfits anytime soon. Instead, they seem to have an affinity for sweater vests and matching belts.

I can't think of one thing about To My Boy that isn't perfect. Their art design is brilliant. They sing about convex windowpanes, lines of constant latitude, and stepping inside mainframes. Their videos are colorful and completely adorable. Jack Snape and Sam White also appear to have an overabundance of energy. That is part of what makes them so likable. Their energy is unavoidably contagious. With To My Boy you will not find one single ounce of pretension.

Check out the videos for I Am X-Ray, The Grid, Model, and Fear of Fragility. Trust me, you need to watch all four of these videos. Do it now.

To My Boy's debut album Messages is out now on XL Recordings.

MP3: To My Boy - Model (zshare)

MP3: To My Boy - Tell Me, Computer (zshare)

MP3: Eliminate (zshare)

Purchase To My Boy's album Messages on Insound, where you can find it in MP3, CD, and Vinyl format.


Buy it at Insound!

No comments: