Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Songs - The Little Drummer Boy

No matter what holiday you celebrate or don't celebrate, there is always room for the David Bowie & Bing Crosby classic "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth". I don't know how anyone could NOT enjoy listening to that song and watching the video. I was watching it last night and realized how hilarious I find it when he casually says "I'm David Bowie. I live down the road" in the beginning of the video. I just love the way he says it. I can't stop imagining David Bowie appearing at my door and nonchalantly telling me that he lives down the road.

Although released before my time, as a kid I remember seeing the Bowie & Bing video air all the time on VH-1 throughout the holiday season, as well as hearing it on the radio constantly. I still hear it on the radio and even have it on mp3, just in case I don't hear it enough for my liking. One of my sisters and I have always enjoyed making fun of the song and mimicking Bowie's slightly off key sounding 'peaace on eaaarth' parts in the song, as well as Bing Crosby's ridiculously low rum pum pum pums.

I'm not super religious but I do enjoy some of the more religious Christmas songs. For years now It always makes me giggle when in 'The Little Drummer Boy' it says 'the ox and lamb kept time'. I picture the ox and lamb stomping their hooves and bobbing their heads to the beat of the song. Ridiculous. I mean, who wrote that?

Here are my favorite renditions of 'The Little Drummer Boy' for your Holiday downloading pleasure:

Bing Crosby & David Bowie - Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy (zshare)
Dandy Warhols - The Little Drummer Boy (zshare)
Low - The Little Drummer Boy (zshare)
Bright Eyes - The Little Drummer Boy (zshare)
Sufjan Stevens - The Little Drummer Boy (zshare)

No comments: