Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jens Lekman - Friday Night At The Drive-In Bingo

It's no secret that I've been gushing over Jens Lekman for the past couple of years. The first song of his that I ever heard was 'Tram #7 To Heaven', which I'm confident should be everyone's first venture into the world of Jens Lekman. I felt as though I had been transported in time back to 1962 and was listening to a scratchy record on one of those old turntables, except Jens was asking me If I had eaten my banana from 7-Eleven.

October 2007 finally brought us new material from Jens Lekman; his second full length release Night Falls Over Kortedala. This album is no disappointment. I fell in love with it immediately. Everything I love about Jens Lekman is still there: the beautiful melodies, the obscure samples, the witty lyrics and the nostalgic feeling that is ever present in all of Jens Lekman's songs. Night Falls Over Kortedala offers a sound that is much larger and stronger in comparison to Lekmans' previous releases. Jens Lekman knows what he is doing. There is not much to say about Night Falls Over Kortedala other than that it is an absolutely wonderful and unique recording.

What I really want to talk about is the song on Night Falls Over Kortedala that I thought for sure was my least favorite. 'Friday Night At The Drive-In Bingo'. It's a favorite among many long-time fans as well as recent converts. The 1950s horn, prevalent throughout the entire song is just a little bit much for me to handle. Every time I hear it I feel like I'm on the set of Grease or Happy Days (which isn't necessarily a pleasant feeling). Despite my original distaste for it, 'Friday Night At The Drive-In Bingo' has begun to grow on me. While listening to it today, I started to notice lyrics in the song that I hadn't noticed previously. It suddenly struck me that this song is actually pretty great.

There's a cow and an ostrich just waiting for you!
A glass of apple cider just waiting for you!
The smell of 1952 just waiting for you!
And all I'm doing here is just waiting for you...

Sure, any Jens Lekman fan is aware that a great deal of his lyrics are humorous and 'quirky', but those lyrics just really hit the spot. It's probably the usage of 'ostrich' that did it for me. I can't really think of the last time I heard the word ostrich utilized in a song. Also, the visuals of a cow, an ostrich and apple cider waiting for me out in the country is just pretty profound and well... amazing.

There is another charming little verse earlier in the song where Jens Lekman attempts to squeeze in a million words per line about what people in a small southern Swedish country town are like.

Why do the people in the country wanna look like the people in the city?
When the people in the city aren't the slightest pretty
I want the people in the country to wear flannel shirts and saggy jeans all covered in dirt
I want the people in the country to be open and kind
but most times I've met those with a narrow mind
with a big black dog to bite your behind
if they ever find out you're not one of their kind

Maybe I can appreciate it because I've definitely seen some tiny tiny country towns in the United States that seem to be stuck in the 1950s (Vermont, I'm looking at you). In closing, 'Friday Night At The Drive-In Bingo' is a much better song than I originally thought it was. I'm even beginning to appreciate those over the top horns that make me feel like I'm wearing a poodle skirt, cardigan sweater and saddle shoes at a high school dance.

Purchase Night Falls Over Kortedala here:
(CD, MP3 and Vinyl formats available)


Buy it at Insound!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.