Monday, November 12, 2007

b-boys, breakers, electric boogaloo!


I can't stop thinking about the Rock Steady Crew. Last week they performed on the Dancing with the Stars results show (Yes, I was watching it). Initially when I heard that they were going to be performing I imagined a bunch of grandpas out on the dance floor trying to uprock and windmill. How wrong I was. While some members of the Rock Steady Crew have been around for years, these days they are more of a collective rather than a small group of dancers. There are several chapters of the Rock Steady Crew spread throughout the nation. Apparently there are also members in Canada and Japan, among other countries.

Prior to reading up on the history of the Rock Steady Crew, I was only familiar with them for two reasons; one being their role in the legendary 1984 film Beat Street. The other thing that sprang to mind was their bizarre and campy attempt at a music career. I don't even know how to describe what the music sounds like, other than to say that it could barely be considered hip hop. It's pure bubblegum. This is what an author on last.fm said in regards to their music: "The Rock Steady Crew was picked up by a record company and they made dope tracks and music videos." Dope tracks indeed. It may have been a cheap attempt at capitalizing on the popularity of breakdancing, but It's still an enjoyable listen and definitely an enjoyable watch.

I don't know what purpose you'll need this song for, but trust me, you need to have this in your collection.

play.gif picture by melissarobot The Rock Steady Crew - (Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew (zshare)


There's no way you can have a post about breakdancing without some appropriate visuals to accompany it. Here are some of my favorite Rock Steady Crew related videos:

Rock Steady Crew - Uprock: The video for their other single. I wish I had an mp3 of this, because this song is actually pretty awesome. I have always wanted a breakdance crew of my own so that we could skip down the streets in matching outfits and inform people that our moves are true.

Rock Steady Crew - (Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew: The video that goes along with the classic song. Bright yellow outfit + lady mullet = not a good combination? You be the judge.

Rock Steady Crew vs. NYC Breakers: This is the main battle from the film Beat Street. I have always found this to be the most amazing breakdance battle ever featured in a film. Both crews are phenomenal and look awesome. The Rock Steady Crew are the ones dressed in blue.

Dancing with the Stars: Here is the current incarnation of the Rock Steady Crew. Most of them probably hadn't even been born yet when the Rock Steady Crew was created (1977). However, original member and current president, Crazy Legs does make an appearance here.

2 comments:

Pooker Designs said...

I am in agreement about the lady mullet. Not a good look. I have noticed lots of lady mullet like hairstyles on hipsters lately..that and something lopsided that looks like Edward Scissorhands cut their hair..and then they add the Mike Patton "epic" shaved lines..not a good look in my opinion either.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.